The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey is committed to creating an environment that is accessible for everyone. We believe that a theatrical experience should be available to all people.
Assisted Listening Devices: An FM Listening System is available for patrons who have a hearing impairment. Light, comfortable headsets are available free of charge at the Theatre’s Box Office.
Wheelchair Accessibility: Wheelchair Seating and Wheelchair Seating Plus Companion is available in both the orchestra and the balcony. Please call ahead to reserve.
Large-Print Programs: Programs with larger text are available free of charge by request at the Box Office window.
Closed-Caption Performances: Available throughout the season, these performances are for patrons wishing to view captions of the on stage dialogue and sound effects. The Theatre is excited to partner with Globetitles to provide an electronic captioning system patrons' can access on their personal phone or tablet. View more information about Globetitles.
See below for a full schedule of our Closed-Caption Performances for the 2023 Season.
Audio Described Performances: Patrons with visual challenges can hear live descriptions of the action on stage through an FM transmitter. Pre-performance sensory seminars are available upon request and allow patrons to handle props, costumes, and set pieces prior to the show. Please contact the Box Office for information.
See below for a full schedule of our Audio-Described Performances as well as our Sensory Seminars for the 2023 Season.
Please see below for what Accessibility programs are available at our different venues.
Accessibility at The Main Stage: F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre
- The 308-seat F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre is barrier-free and fully accessible to persons with disabilities, in compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act regulations. To request special accommodation, please phone the Box Office at 973-408-5600 24 hr. in advance of your arrival.
- Braille Signage appears throughout the building wherever public signs are posted.
- A Wheelchair-Accessible Elevator is available on all levels of the building.
- A Control Room Lift makes the control room fully accessible for technicians employed at the Theatre.
- The Front Entrance Ramp allows for wheelchair entrance accessibility.
- A Stage Lift transports actors who are unable to use the stairs from the dressing room to the stage and back.
Accessibility at The Outdoor Stage: The Greek Theatre
- Large-Print Programs are available free of charge by request at the Box Office table.
- Wheelchair Seating and a Wheelchair-Accessible Rest Room are available.
2023 Closed-Caption Performances
Please note that Closed-Caption performances begin at 8:00 p.m.
The Rose Tattoo - Thursday, June 8th
And a Nightingale Sang... - Thursday, July 20th
Waiting for Godot - Thursday, September 21st
A Man for All Seasons - Thursday, October 26th
A Midwinter Night's Dream - Thursday, December 14th
2023 Audio-Described Performances
Please note that Audio-Described performances will have a sensory seminar that begins at 7:00 p.m. Audio-Described performances begin at 8:00 p.m.
The Rose Tattoo - Thursday, June 15th
And a Nightingale Sang... - Thursday, July 27th
Waiting for Godot - Thursday, September 28th
A Man for All Seasons - Thursday, November 2nd
A Midwinter Night's Dream - Thursday, December 21st
We always welcome feedback from our audience. Please send us any comments about our access services to BoxOffice@ShakespeareNJ.org.